Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is my battery getting BETTER?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:50 am 

My car is in the shop for a service on the crash system. :roll:

But I have noticed that my charge rating now says 41 miles when I get in, up from 37 when I started. As I drive, it has met or exceeded the projected mileage on the batteries for the last several days- short commutes to work, limited highway time. Anyone else seeing this kind of performance?

Post subject: Re: Is my battery getting BETTER?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:10 pm 

sefar wrote:
My car is in the shop for a service on the crash system. :roll:

But I have noticed that my charge rating now says 41 miles when I get in, up from 37 when I started. As I drive, it has met or exceeded the projected mileage on the batteries for the last several days- short commutes to work, limited highway time. Anyone else seeing this kind of performance?

sefar,

I started out at 37 miles of ev range. Then, as I allowed my car to charge at 110 for a FULL night during an entire week I noticed my battery capacity moved up to 42 miles of ev range. After 3 months and now using the 240 charge every night I am getting 42-47 miles of ev range.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:03 am 

Shouldn't surprise me that the batteries get better as they condition. I am routinely driving 45+ miles, although the meter shows 42 when I get in. I have 240 chargers at home and work, and they do seem to charge deeper than the 110 does.

More disturbing is the gas range- the projected, even when full, is about 255. Where is the advertised 340 range on this thing?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:57 pm 

My gas mileage runs about 38 mpg per tank which, as I understand it, is a small amount higher than stated by GM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:37 pm 

It's all about temperature. My wife's Volt we got in March showed 32 miles, then in the summer as high as mid-40's. This winter it should drop to about 25 or so here in Colorado.

Note* Maximum range for a true, full-charge is 60 miles. This can be obtained by going downhill in L-gear for about 30 minutes. Went from Estes Park, CO to Denver, all downhill. Got to 60 miles charge regen from a full 38 but would charge no more after that. Took pictures. Longevity of the battery array is achieved by only allowing an 80% maximum plug-in charge, but regen-ning it naturally will allow the full 60.