Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fastest acceleration in what mode?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:36 am 

Now that we have the specs for the Cadillac ELR forum, we know that the ELR has a 0-60 mph time of 7.8 seconds in range extending mode, and 8.8 seconds in EV mode.

Can someone tell me why it is faster in range extending mode? Isn't range extending supposed to be the 'thrifty' mode that uses less power/gasoline?!

Post subject: Re: Fastest acceleration in what mode?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:14 am 

Maybe one of the Volt experts could answer, but wouldn't it make sense that in combined mode it would accelerate the fastest because the electric motor and gasoline motor are working together to put out the most power possible to the Cadillac ELR's wheels?

Post subject: Re: Fastest acceleration in what mode?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am 

One of the advantages to being one of the first people to register is I can use VoltOwner for may member name. ;) I'm a Volt owner and there are four driving modes: normal, sport, mountain, and hold. Hold mode switches on the gas engine and uses it exclusively. Mountain mode is the same except it uses half the charge before switching on the gas engine. Sport mode is also strictly electric and gives you the best acceleration. I haven't tried it at high speed as when passing, but at low speed (under 50) it's very spunky like a sports car. Unlike the name "mountain mode" would suggest, performance seems to be better using electric when climbing mountains and you don't have the gas engine revving excessively. In fact I don't know why there even is a mountain mode. I guess it reserves half of the charge for when you get back to level ground, though you can easily do this yourself by changing back and forth between "hold" and "normal". It seems I read the ELR will have the same modes. The thing about driving mode is that it automatically reverts to normal mode when you start the car and there is no way to keep the setting permanent.

Driving a Volt/ELR is very different. It guess serene would describe it best. You don't have the engine noise or gear shifting. It just goes, very quietly. Traditional car enthusiasts would undoubtedly miss the noise of the engine revving and shifting the gears. You don't have any of that.

I'm really excited to see the Cadillac ELR for the first time. I'll never be able to afford one, but hope to experience it vicariously through the experiences of ELR owners.

To answer the original question as well as I can: The gas engine and electric engines are lined up and there is a "planetary gear" that allows the gas engine to engage directly with the electric to increase the power. I don't know what causes this to happen. It could be gas pedal position. I've only had this happen once that I know of. There is a lag between when you hit the gas and acceleration because the gas motor has to start up and rev up before you have any power from it. I think it's only used at high speed during passing.