Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FWD?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 pm 

Do we know yet if the Cadillac ELR is front or rear wheel drive?

If I had to guess I would say front wheel drive because it shares the drivetrain with the Volt, but I thought the current Cadillac sports coupe was a rear wheel drive?

Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm 

I dont know for sure. There is no such info in Cadillac ELR Forum.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 am 

klaus wrote:

If I had to guess I would say front wheel drive because it shares the drivetrain with the Volt, but I thought the current Cadillac sports coupe was a rear wheel drive?

I wouldn't be surprise if ELR has 4 wheel-drive because new EV have it more often then not.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am 

fasteddie wrote:
klaus wrote:

I wouldn't be surprise if ELR has 4 wheel-drive because new EV have it more often then not.

yes thw Cadillac ELR has a FWD which is pretty logical since it already uses two engine so why not just put them on the front and rear axis for better driving control that this kind of a setup ensures...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am 

The Cadillac ELR uses the same drivetrain as the Chevy Volt and is another Delta II platform vehicle (like the Cruze and Verano, too). All of them are front engine, front wheel drive.

2005 Chevrolet SSR, Aqua Blur, 6.0L/6-speed, 20K

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am 

DavidSSR is right - other than changing the exterior, the ELR is essentially the same vehicle as the Volt - front wheel drive and all.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm 

Being a Volt owner I can answer this because of the similarities between the Volt and ELR. Because the high-voltage battery takes up so much space, there is no room for a rear drive shaft or differential. There is also an additional 12-volt battery, although I don't know what it's used for, maybe for the starter motor for the gas motor. In fact, space is so tight that there is no room for spare tire.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:40 am 

Plus, front wheel drive vehicles are easier to handle - in theory. Most of us old-timers probably have experience with rear wheel drive sports cars, but with too much power to the rear end, it's a lot easier to get into trouble.

With the ELR being front wheel drive, you can drive it in all these snowstorms we're having right now. No need to wait until spring to drive your new vehicle :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm 

VoltOwner wrote:
Being a Volt owner I can answer this because of the similarities between the Volt and ELR. Because the high-voltage battery takes up so much space, there is no room for a rear drive shaft or differential. There is also an additional 12-volt battery, although I don't know what it's used for, maybe for the starter motor for the gas motor. In fact, space is so tight that there is no room for spare tire.

There seem to be a fair number Volt owners hanging in the wings, waiting for the ELR to be available. I am one of them. I am waiting for an ELR to end up at a dealership near me so that I can see it in person, and test drive it!