Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: FWD?
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 44
Do we know yet if the Cadillac ELR is front or rear wheel drive?

If I had to guess I would say front wheel drive because it shares the drivetrain with the Volt, but I thought the current Cadillac sports coupe was a rear wheel drive?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:16 am
Posts: 27
I dont know for sure. There is no such info in Cadillac ELR Forum.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:09 pm
Posts: 69
klaus wrote:
Do we know yet if the Cadillac ELR is front or rear wheel drive?

If I had to guess I would say front wheel drive because it shares the drivetrain with the Volt, but I thought the current Cadillac sports coupe was a rear wheel drive?


I wouldn't be surprise if ELR has 4 wheel-drive because new EV have it more often then not.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:57 pm
Posts: 60
fasteddie wrote:
klaus wrote:
Do we know yet if the Cadillac ELR is front or rear wheel drive?

If I had to guess I would say front wheel drive because it shares the drivetrain with the Volt, but I thought the current Cadillac sports coupe was a rear wheel drive?


I wouldn't be surprise if ELR has 4 wheel-drive because new EV have it more often then not.


yes thw Cadillac ELR has a FWD which is pretty logical since it already uses two engine so why not just put them on the front and rear axis for better driving control that this kind of a setup ensures...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:03 am
Posts: 20
Location: Houston, TX
The Cadillac ELR uses the same drivetrain as the Chevy Volt and is another Delta II platform vehicle (like the Cruze and Verano, too). All of them are front engine, front wheel drive.

_________________
David in Houston, TX
2011 Ford Fusion SE V6, Sterling Gray, 3.0L/6F35, 65K
2008 GMC Yukon XL, Onyx Black, 5.3L/4L60E, 92K
2005 Chevrolet SSR, Aqua Blur, 6.0L/6-speed, 20K


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:23 pm
Posts: 28
DavidSSR is right - other than changing the exterior, the ELR is essentially the same vehicle as the Volt - front wheel drive and all.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 am
Posts: 5
Being a Volt owner I can answer this because of the similarities between the Volt and ELR. Because the high-voltage battery takes up so much space, there is no room for a rear drive shaft or differential. There is also an additional 12-volt battery, although I don't know what it's used for, maybe for the starter motor for the gas motor. In fact, space is so tight that there is no room for spare tire.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:24 pm
Posts: 34
Plus, front wheel drive vehicles are easier to handle - in theory. Most of us old-timers probably have experience with rear wheel drive sports cars, but with too much power to the rear end, it's a lot easier to get into trouble.

With the ELR being front wheel drive, you can drive it in all these snowstorms we're having right now. No need to wait until spring to drive your new vehicle :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: FWD?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:47 pm
Posts: 10
VoltOwner wrote:
Being a Volt owner I can answer this because of the similarities between the Volt and ELR. Because the high-voltage battery takes up so much space, there is no room for a rear drive shaft or differential. There is also an additional 12-volt battery, although I don't know what it's used for, maybe for the starter motor for the gas motor. In fact, space is so tight that there is no room for spare tire.


There seem to be a fair number Volt owners hanging in the wings, waiting for the ELR to be available. I am one of them. I am waiting for an ELR to end up at a dealership near me so that I can see it in person, and test drive it!

_________________
Cadillac ELR # 206 - did they start at 0 or 200?!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
cron
© Cadillac ELR Forum - part of the MyElectricCarForums.com Group