Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Driving the ELR in the rain
PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:40 pm 

We're currently experiencing a deluge here in SoCal, so I was concerned about driving my ELR to work today. I really don't like driving my 2012 Volt when it rains because its traction leaves a lot to be desired. I've only got 15k miles on my OEM tires, so they shouldn't have such poor traction, but they're pretty bad, IMHO.

I'm happy to report that the ELR responds so much better in the rain that it's almost like it isn't raining. Whether it's the 20-inch tires, the Cadillac engineering, or both, the ELR stays glued to the ground and manages temporary traction loss with aplomb.

When I accelerated into the second half of a 90-degree right turn, the car didn't fishtail or spin the wheels. When I floored the accelerator going up an oily, wet hill, the traction control kept the tires on track and the car didn't lose control. And when I was in the right lane and hit the river of water along the curb that suddenly arrested my forward motion, the car didn't swerve (as some cars do when the two right tires hit substantial water while the left two are on pavement).

There was one brief section on the highway that was uneven, and the car did feel like it "floated" for a few feet at 65 mph, but the traction control recovered quickly. Passing felt confident on both the freeway and side streets. The best part of my drive home was when a jerkoff in the far right lane thought he was going to jump ahead of me on the green light before he hit the parked cars just past the intersection, and he was left spinning his tires (literally) while the ELR purposefully accelerated forward with nary a hiccup nor backwards glance at that loser.

The ELR is a safe car to be driving in this inclement weather, and so much better than my Volt. I'm curious how it handles in snow and ice; anyone had that experience, yet?

Post subject: Re: Driving the ELR in the rain
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:56 pm 

My ELR handles great in the rain. Only issue I found is that the radar for the cruise, etc. goes out when it is raining hard enough to affect the sensors.