Cadillac ELR Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What vehicles will you cross-shop?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:17 am 

Hi everyone on the Cadillac ELR Forum!

I'm wondering what vehicles you will cross shop before/during your search to purchase the upcoming ELR?

I have test driven a Model S and although I liked it, it isn't in the same class to me at least.

I own a BMW 435i xDrive and would like a coupe in the same luxury class as that.

Let me know!

Post subject: Re: What vehicles will you cross-shop?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:50 pm 

It depends if you are buying the Cadillac ELR as a green car, or as a statement car. A statement car/limited edition purchaser will cross shop other sports coupes in the price range, like the Jaguar F-Type perhaps...

If the ELR is a green car that a person is buying because they want a green coupe, then there is very little to cross shop, since this is the only 2 door electric sports coupe available with a range extender. If anything, the Tesla Roadster sort of competes - but typically people buying a brand new Cadillac aren't interested in a vehicle that is 5+ years old and used.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:41 pm 

I really think the Cadillac ELR is in a class of its own. To say someone might cross shop it with a different vehicle, sure. Someone COULD cross shop it with a 4 series, or 6 series, but they could cross shop a bicycle too, or a Ford Excursion.

The ELR is more for luxury environmentalists than for luxury performance car enthusiasts, at least I think so.

There is no other vehicle in the $75K price range with all the luxuries one could imagine - the intensely detailed interior, the powered cup holder cover etc :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:18 am 

Put me down as a luxury environmentalist... I own a Cadillac XLR, and while I am not actively looking for a replacement for another 2-3 years, I'd readily buy the ELR if the equipment and price were right. Unfortunately, the lack of ventilated seats is a showstopper for me. And even if they were available, I'd have a hard time convincing myself to pay what's being asked. The Saks white is the only offered color I'd want. If it was in the $55-60K ballpark, I'd be having serious discussions with my dealer about whether or not we could put the CTS or XTS ventilated seats into it.

I don't need to replace the XLR, although I'd like some of the safety features available in newer cars. Alternates are all wait-and-see what the PHEV marketplace turns up:

Tesla's off the table. My kids live too far away for me to consider a pure EV.

The Volvo V60 PHEV looks as interesting to me as the ELR, especially the European diesel version. But, Volvo's only going to do a PHEV XC90 in 2015 for the US. That's got a good chance of replacing my wife's RX400h but not the XLR.

Audi's A3 E-tron is coming, but I don't expect Audi will make a sufficiently upscale version to interest me. By the way, I do NOT need a powered cupholder... Now, if Audi even hinted at a PHEV A5 I'd be even more interested than I was when the ELR was in progress.

Volt? Hey, if it had adaptive cruise available, I just might be thinking about getting one with the cloth seats and finding some way to pump in some ventilation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 pm 

Hey Matt! Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your thoughts!

You know, I have yet to here or see anything online about anyone saying they are planning on buying one of these. So, it's either going to be people like Jay Leno who buy one in addition to their 20 other cars, where frankly price, efficiency etc has no bearing, it's merely the 'limited edition' that makes the sale.

I wouldn't be surprised if Cadillac does start lowering the price, or offering 'limited time offers' to bring the price down somewhere to the $60,000 mark.

With your calculations, have you factored in the $7500 federal tax credit, and any Florida state incentives their might be for plug-in vehicles?